#29.5: Skinny Blender Brownies

I'm supposed to be on a diet because I'm chunky. I'm an awful dieter and the worse I lose, the harder it is to stick with it, so I try to find ways I can still have a "guilty pleasure" here and there and still not completely fall off the bandwagon (unlike the half box of girl scout cookies I just ate, dang those cute kids asking me to please buy some cookies!) I snagged these little dandies off of Sally's Baking Addiction via Pinterest.

I thought I would give these brownies (my guiltiest pleasure) a whirl and see if they stand a chance at replacing brownies filled with oil, flour and sugar.

Skinny Blender Brownies
Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 6 oz. low fat vanilla greek yogurt (I used honey because I like it plain too, so the rest of the container won't be thrown out)
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1 large egg (or 2 egg whites WHAT?! You need to use the whole egg! That is where all the nutrients are!)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup sugar (I used Splenda)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 8×8 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Place all of the ingredients except for the peanut butter into a blender or food processor. (Yes, a blender!) (Awesome I might add!) For easier blending, place the liquid ingredients into the blender first. Blend until mix is smooth and oats are ground up. You will have to stop the blender and scrape down the sides a few times.
  3. Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Batter will be thin. Microwave peanut butter for about 30 seconds. Drop melted peanut butter by spoonfuls onto the batter, swirling gently with a knife to create a marbled effect. (Try not to overmix!)
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Brownies will be extra fudgy, so be sure to wait until COMPLETELY cooled - I stuck mine in the refrigerator for 2 hours, which allowed them to be cut very easily. Cut into 12 squares and enjoy! (Yeah, 12 squares out of a 8x8 doesn't really quench the brownie thirst....I cut mine into 9 and entered the recipe into the ole' My Fitness Pal......only 210 calories per serving, not too bad, plus these babies have some energy ingredients in them)


Now for the taste test.........I deem them HEALTHY-ish! and not-that-YUMMY! They are ok in a pinch, but I think for calorie to enjoyability ratio I'd just bite the bullet and eat a real brownie!

Comments

  1. Good to know! I may have to try them, just so I have a go-to healthy recipe. But real, gooey, unhealthy brownies are hard to beat!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be prepared to wish you had just indulged and had the real thing.....I don't think I'll pass up the real deal for these guys again.

      Delete
  2. Sounds pretty good for a healthy alternative! I've learned that sweets are ok, IN MODERATION! That's the part I have a hard time with :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen. Have you heard of the chocolate cake made with a coke. It is a weight watchers recipe. But it tastes not good for you! Lol. It doesnt have that healthy taste to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is totally adorable, what a treat! I am so excited to try your chocolate blend! Thank you so much for this neat idea! xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh How Pinteresting - yard ideas

WILW: laugh 'til it hurts

Painting with a twist