3/4: 2016 goals update

Checking in again, halfway there on those 2016 goals. If you missed the story behind those goals, click here and here when I checked in after the first quarter.

1. GET A HOBBY - Let's be honest, I can't really afford many more hobbies. The upside of having a lot of hobbies, there is always room to devote more time and attention to said hobbies (especially since I have several "new" hobbies, less than 3 years old. In 2016 I will:

  • take 3 mountain bike trips
    • Memorial Day mountain biking in Fruita with Tyler, Jennie, Will and Melody
    • Labor Day weekend at WYDAHO Mountain Bike Festival at Grand Targhee 
  • take 2 golf trips
    • Birthday Golf with the Retired Guy at Rolling Green Country Club
    • 3rd Annual Shank-o-poto-mus at Fossil Island 
2. DO SOMETHING THAT SCARES YOU - I'm a hermit and I don't like change, yet I love to travel. Leaving the US of A and my understanding of the English language isn't an easy thing for me to do. In 2016 I will:
  • hike the ancient Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in Peru
    • I absolutely loved hiking the Inca trail to Machu Picchu. It was the experience of a lifetime and I am so fortunate for having a best friend who loves to do crazy trips with me and that I am healthy enough to make the 28+ mile trek.
  • stand in both the southern and northern hemispheres at the same time in Ecuador
    • We made it to the equator more than once. We crossed it several times while cruising the Galapagos, but we also visited the monument in Ecuador and it poured more rain than I've ever seen in my life on us.
3. NURTURE YOUR BODY - This is something that has become so very important to me over the last 2 years. Our bodies are temples and allow us to explore all that God has made for us. In 2016 I will:
  • get 12 massages to maintain physical and mental health
    • 9/12 - even got a Peruvian massage after returning from the hike before jetting off to Ecuador. It was different than any massage I've ever gotten before, but it was wonderful and just what I needed.
  • complete the Hammer & Chisel program
    •  UPDATE: This has taken a back burner, I suppose I'll start over in the fall.
  • get to my new goal weight 
    • I did it! I weigh the same as when I graduated high school and then I decided it needed to be a nice round 50 lbs.....got that too, now looking forward to having to get that new drivers license.
4. STEAL MOMENTS OF SOLITUDE - I live alone, so a better goal is probably for me to leave my solitude and get out there, but I didn't make the list so I'll stick to it! What was that about comfort zones? In 2016 I will:
  • take time for myself and complete 4 books with my girlfriends in the Bucketlist Book Club
    • For the Love Jen Hatmaker
    • Orphan Train Christina Baker Kline
    • The Girl on the Train Paula Hawkins 
5. PLAN A GETAWAY - Please refer to 1 and 2....I've got this one in the bag, but just in case you don't think I can honestly cross a goal off of a list with another goal from the same list....In 2016 I will:
  • plan at least one weekend getaway....key word being plan, I tend to go and plan along the way.
    •  Assistant Pack Leader and I spring ski Loveland - it wasn't a powder day, but it was perfect spring skiing with tons of sunshine, a few beers and topped it off with Beau Jo's pizza!
6. CREATE SOMETHING - I've got thousands of Pinterest pins awaiting me to create. In 2016 I will: 
  • complete at least 2 Pinterest pins
    • Windmill on the wall
7. FIND A SONG + MAKE IT YOUR SONG - I've had the same favorite song for a long time now.

Its going to be a change, but in 2016 I will:
  • find a new song
    •  Comeback Kid by The Band Perry - I love this song, such a good reminder for all aspects of life. It doesn't always go as expected, but that doesn't mean you can't still kick ass! Who doesn't love a good comeback story! Go Underdogs!



8. SAVE MONEY - ah, the ever elusive save money goal. I have this goal every year, sometimes I nail it, sometimes I don't. In an effort to hold myself more accountable I'm going to make mini goals in order to meet the overall goal. In 2016 I will:
  • meet a quarterly savings goal for 4 quarters
    • An extra paycheck and a tax return are tucked away, under lock and key.
    • Quarter 2: BUST, I bought a 1972 Airstream (now named Wilson) 
    • Quarter 3: I set up an automatic savings plan from each paycheck, I'm not killing it, but its a step back in the right direction. Spending is just so much more fun than savings.....responsible adulthood is overrated.
9. SPREAD YOURSELF THICK - to me this means to slow down, to do what makes me happy and make an effort to say NO so that I can enjoy the things I do put on my plate. Picking one thing to concentrate on this year for this goal is tough, but to be thick I'd better have some focus. In 2016 I will:
  • focus on being a strong supervisor and providing the training and guidance to developing new employees while maintaining to improving the service that we provide to participating customers.
10. PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE - I'm the strangest person I know. I feel like outgoing hermit accurately describes me. Make sense? Yeah, don't worry it confuses me too. I'd prefer to stay home as to going out. I prefer a small group to a "club". Speaking of which I saw a new bar sign in Rock Springs that said "Night Club" um.....yeah, no. Not in Rock Springs....no such thing. In 2016 I will:
  • join Sweetwater Mountain Biking Association
    • I went to my first meeting in January and now I'm getting involved....eeeekkkkk. I've also gotten involved with the Annual Trails Day and Trek bike raffle. More recently I've been chosen to represent the bike club on the Tourism Committee
  • join Co-ed volleyball team
    • I played co-ed volleyball this season. While we weren't that good, we got better and we did have fun!
  • co-organize a co-ed softball team
    • I became a free agent in co-ed softball with the intention of playing a couple games in the rec league. Now I play with a competitive team, at least until maternity leave is over. 
11. MAKE DATES WITH OTHER PEOPLE - This will likely be in the form of some type of trip. In 2016 I will
  • make a conscious effort to schedule dates with other people at least once a month
    • January: Ski Weekend at Grand Targhee with Cooper
    • February: Ski Weekend at Steamboat with Sisters & Friends
    • March: Lucky 7 bull sale with Jeremiah Johnson
    • March (2): Zac Brown Band concert in Jackson with my Star Valley friends 
    • April: High School Rodeo weekend in Rock Springs with friends from Casper
    • May: Deep sea fishing trip with NASCOE friends in San Diego, CA
    • June: Overland Stampede Rodeo to watch Cooper rope
    • July: Annual July 4th lake trip 
    • July (2): Road Trip Nebraska (barely) to visit Gypsy Friend
    • August: Bonnie's Retirement Party
    • September: WYDAHO Bike Festival; met up with some friends from the bike club, some friends that I hadn't seen in a while and made some new ones along the way 
    • October: Preg checking cows; I just love it, getting dirty, working with friends, being outside
12. DATE YOURSELF - If I can't date me, then why would anyone else? Solitary time is good for the soul. In 2016 I will:
  • take some me time and take myself somewhere at least once a month. Don't worry, I won't tell you what I talk about with myself.
    • January: Mummies of the World
    • February: Frostbite 5K & How to Be Single movie
    • March: Instead of a "date" this time, I Tylie bought me a Ewe-nique Wool Wreath that I've been wanting for a couple of years   
    • April: Branding
    • May: Bay Bridge 5K in San Diego, CA
    • June: I made a quick day trip to Ogden for some shopping and biking. Shopping was successful, it rained all day so I didn't get to bike. Instead I made time for sushi and a pedicure.  
    • July: Manitou Incline hike with Sister 
    • August: MTB Big Sky, Montana
    • September: Magnificent 7 at the new ARQ movie theater
    •  
13. IMPROVE THE LIFE OF OTHERS - I like doing things for others. I like making/doing/gifting things that I know people will love. I like making others lives just a bit easier. And this year I am super excited about what I'm going to do to fulfill this goal. Stay tuned for more info! In 2016 I will: 
  • donate to a special cause and special people to help fulfill their dream 
    • Running Dogs Brewery
  • adopt a kid from the Tree of Sharing
  • adopt a senior from the Tree of Sharing
14. BE GRATEFUL - I have so much to be grateful for yet I still find myself thinking about all the things I don't have frequently. In 2016 I will:
  • write a blog each month about something in my life that I am grateful for.
    • January: (posted in February) health
    • February: employment
    • March: friends 
    • April:
    • May: rain
    • June:  
    • July: 
    • August:
    • September: 
15. CHOOSE A CHARITY - My go to charity is the Salvation Army. Each year I choose to donate to the Western State College Foundation, Dr. Clem Ward Scholarship Fund (Oklahoma State University), the Dave Grimes Memorial Fund and the Salvation Army. This year I'm going to do something a little different under this goal. Stay tuned for more information about that! In 2016 I will:
  • donate to Salvation Army, Western State College Foundation, Dr. Ward's scholarship and Dave Grimes Memorial Fund.
16. STOP FEELING GUILTY - All things considered, I'm a pretty good person. I try to do things for others, I try to please others and its usually at my own expense. In 2016 I will:
  • do what's best for me
  • say NO when I need to or when I do not want to do something 
    • I joined and then I quit a softball team. I found that putting myself out there (refer to #10 was just too much. It was stressing me out. I wanted to be home a few days of the week. Tylie missed me. So I quit for my own sanity. I said no more.

As always, I reserve the right to add, delete, change any or all of these goals as I deem necessary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh How Pinteresting - yard ideas

Painting with a twist

it's a wrap: 2016 goals