resolution-ing in 2018 [3]


connect with good people.

Meeting people is easy.....in college. As I "grew up" and left the college scene I found it increasingly harder to meet people. Maybe its because just meeting acquaintances and calling them friends no longer served me. Maybe I started to crave the quality over quantity. Anyway, its been a lot harder to meet people that I would call my tribe. So while I thought this was a great goal for me for 2018, I was dreading how difficult it could be to actually accomplish this, and then I realized I was in the box. Why can't I just think outside the box? Not everything is black and white all the time. And so to jump right into the gray area.....this week I connected with Ronda Rousey. You probably don't believe me, but I did....in the gray area, even though there is nothing gray about her and her beliefs.



"I have been booed in thirty countries. I have been booed following UFC victories. I'm more used to being booed by a crowd than I am being cheered. I have never been a fan favorite. Pretty much my entire competitive career has been defined by people hoping to see me lose. In the UFC, I've embraced the role of the villain. I don't shy away from controversy. I don't hold back when it comes to speaking my mind. That doesn't always endear me to the masses. In a world that loves to root for the underdog, I'm always the favorite - and I always win." excerpt from NY Times Bestseller ROUSEY. 

I got this book in the mail on a Monday after work, I'd read half of it by bedtime.



Her strength, both physical and mental is empowering. I, in no dream world, would ever consider myself as big of a badass as her, but reading about her trials and tribulations, rising above the BS and creating an empire and a happy life left me feeling like I, too, could take on the world (not a UFC ring, but the world). The most surprising thing about Ronda? She cries. A lot.


A few of my favorite passages from her book: Night 1

"Do not accept less than what you're capable of."

"They don't award medals based on what you won before."

"Making a change in your life is as easy as making a decision and acting on it. That's it."

"People appreciate excellence no matter who you are."

A few of my favorite passages from her book: Night 2

"The only power people have over you is the power you give them."

"But you can't let other people affect your belief in yourself. They're going to tell you to be logical and be reasonable. They're going to say that because no one else has ever done something, that it can't be done. You have to be crazy enough to the believe that you are the one person in the history of the world who can create that change or accomplish that dream." 

"Some lessons have to be experienced to be learned."

"The hardest part is knowing when to walk away." 

connect with good people. connect with Ronda Rousey. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh How Pinteresting - yard ideas

WILW: laugh 'til it hurts

Painting with a twist