mountain biking in kansas

Switchgrass EPIC mountain bike trail
 Sure sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it!? I was presently surprised by an Epic mountain bike trail that can be found just a few miles off of I-70....and on my way to my friend's wedding. And for the record, although there were only 2 of us, when he lived in Wyoming he was part of the mountain bikers so I'm counting it as my trip with the mountain bikers this year for the 2015 goals!

Steve liked catching critters...I screamed when I about ran over this one!

We met in Wilson the night before, he coming from the east and me from the west. We stayed at the historic Midland Railroad hotel, it was super cute and the food and beer sure hit the spot after traveling all day.

Crossing the tracks, Wilson, Kansas

Then the next morning we headed out to Wilson Lake to hit the trail. The trail consists of stacked loops for a total of 24 miles. I was so excited to ride 24 miles as that would be the longest ride I'd ever done, but I was comforted by the fact that if it gets to be too much there are tons of places to "bail" and make a shorter ride....which I had to do. At 18 miles I was beat! I was starting to make lots of mistakes that could have ended in crashes that really injured me, so I bailed.

Overlooking Wilson Lake from Switchgrass Trail

The trail was amazing and I think I'd like to give it a try again, especially now that the first 5 miles might not kick my butt so bad! They were pretty technical for me and I wasn't sure I was going to make it past the first section.



Stegosaurus Drop



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh How Pinteresting - yard ideas

WILW: laugh 'til it hurts

Painting with a twist